Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Crochet - A Super Brief Historical Exploration

I love to crochet. Years ago, I remember all the items my grandmother made and, honestly, back then the art didn't appeal to me. That may have had something to do with the fact that most of what my grandmother crocheted in her later years could be neatly categorized as "kitsch," (sorry, Nanny =/).  My mother, though,  created marvelous afghans, lovely and straightforward with their repetitive stitches and monochromatic color  schemes.  They were also very warm, which was a bonus to the texture and art that are my mother's  creations. 

Now, having suffered from rheumatoid arthritis since I was fourteen, I believed I would never have the dexterity to attempt the wonders my mother wrought, transforming balls of string into the cozy art that are her afghans.  Fortunately, for yarn manufacturers, it takes more than a chronic malady to deter me!  About a year ago I grabbed a spare hook and started hooking....erm...crocheting, you know, with a hook, hence hookin-..stop looking at me like that....*sigh*   Nevermind.  Point is, I really enjoy this craft.
Never satisfied with just leaving it at a pleasurable pastime, I decided it was about time that I learned a bit about the illustrious history of said craft.  That said, I have decided to dump this information on you, my ever-so forgiving readers.  So, without further ado, The Kitchen Sink presents "Crochet: A Brief History of the  Craft and a Scant Few of Its Modern Applications."  (How's that for a snooty title?  That's all those years as an English Major at work!)

Wiki succinctly summarizes the craft of crochet by saying it is making fabric from yarn with a crochet hook. Where did this fantabulous method of fabric fabrication originate you ask?  Some say it came from Arabia, South America or China.  It became popular in Europe around the 19th century, though there are a few remaining archaeological specimens that date before the 1800s, namely in something called "tambour embroidery."  But that's splitting hairs.  As a rule of thumb, it is safe to call it an art that originated in the 19th century.

Etymologically, the word is interesting.  The word "crochet" seems to have come from the Old Norse word "krokr" which means crook or hook-shaped instrument like, say, a "crochet hook."  As a side note, I find this a wonderful correlation to the fact that crochet was often called "shepherd's knitting" and the staff used by shepherds is called a "crook."  Etymologists date the Old Norse word "krokr" at about the 13th century.  Further research shows that the French later adopted the word as "crocheter."    

Some say crochet started with fingers, bypassing the need for a hook.  Well, I can't imagine trying to make a close-knit beanie with my fingers, but if that's how they did it then, more power to them!  After the finger approach, someone decided it might be easier to make a hook.  Early crafters made their hooks out of the usual suspects: wood, ivory, bone.  Later they crafters designed their hooks in metals: silver, brass, steel.

Interestingly, people initially considered crochet a decorative art reserved for the upper classes, whereas knitting was more "functional."  During the mid1800s, though, Irish Crochet was popular as a cottage industry, with fine examples shipped off to America and Europe to help many families in Ireland survive the potato famine (go crochet!). 

Around the 20th century, crochet became a more accessible art form.  It was at that time that Queen Victoria learned to crochet and the world followed suit.  Crochet became standardized and patterns and instruction readily distributed.  There was a lull in pattern creation around World War II until about the 60s, but there has been resurgence since and the craft seems to continue picking up momentum among the diy community!  *yay*

Crochet today has transcended limitations, going beyond the decorative to yield practical results that are utilitarian and quite delightful.  Some of the popular patterns today allow a crafter to use this particular art to create home goods like potholders and bath mitts to apparel like scarves, hats, shawls and jackets onto the more traditional granny squared/stitched afghans.  

Beyond those applications, a friend of mine helped open my mind to further exciting uses, as in textile art such as can be seen in the hyperbolic crocheted reef.  "Freeform" crochet has captured my interest of late.  It seems a terrific way to use up those leftover yards of yarn!

If you are of the crafty persuasion and have yet to pick up a hook, I strongly encourage you to give it a go.  It is a terrific way to pass a few moments at a doc office, on the bus on the way to work, on a plane ride or anywhere else that might force you to page through dog-eared out-of-date magazines to whittle away twenty minutes or so.  Crochet is a *very* portable hobby, requiring merely some yarn and a hook (maybe a few papers worth of pattern if you don't already have it memorized).  Personally, I love relaxing with a bit of crochet while catching up on my podcasts =) 


References not linked in the text:
Make your own crochet hooks from sticks!  Or in this case a paintbrush.
One of my favorite pattern sites: Lion Brand Yarn
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crochet
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=crochet

No comments:

Post a Comment